Funky Flora

Monday, December 12, 2011

Grandma Mack's Christmas Breakfast Casserole Recipe!!~~A Christmas Tradition


Every year since my sons were born, my family comes over to my house Christmas morning to watch the boys open their gifts and to enjoy Christmas breakfast together. 
The first year I went all out and made eggs, sausage, bacon, American fries, Toast, Pancakes, and Waffles.
Let me tell you that was the last time. It was so time consuming to prepare I missed alot of the most important part of Christmas...spending time with the ones I love!
Not to mention all the dirty dishes! Ugh! 
So I vowed to never do that again.

The next year I found this recipe and have used it every year since then for Christmas breakfast!
What a load off my shoulders this breakfast casserole idea was!
I prepared it the night before, put it in the fridge, and just popped it in the oven when we were about ready to eat. 
Only dirtied 2 dishes too, my 9X13 pan and a spatula! Cannot get better than that!
easy peasy lemon squeezy =D

I even thought for a moment this year that I wanted to try a different casserole recipe and when I asked around the family about what they thought might sound good, and all I got was aksed why I wanted to change the "tradition"...lol
Guess that means everyone loves it and I should just leave a good thing alone =D
So it's Grandma Mack's Breakfast Casserole again this year!
I'm NOT complaining...it is really good =D



These are the ingredients you will need:
frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, 6 eggs, milk, cheddar cheese (shredded), Jimmy Dean Sausage cooked and crumbled or diced ham, salt, pepper and refrigerator crescent roll dough.

  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and brown and drain the sausage.

  Arrange the crescent rolls on the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.

Place the ham or browned sausage on top of the crescent rolls. Beat the eggs and milk together; set aside. 

 Layer the hash browns over the meat, season with salt & pepper.

Then pour the egg mixture over the hash browns.

Top with cheese.

Bake at 375* for 30 -45 minutes or until egg mixture is done. use a knife to check if casserole is completely cooked. Sometimes the middle can be a stickler when using a smaller dish. If the egg mixture is still a bit runny lower the temperature a bit and cook a little longer that is why the cooking time can vary from 30 - 45 minutes.

Let cool and cut into squares.


Grandma Mack’s Breakfast CasseroleCourtesy of Grandma Mary Mack, Elkhorn, Wisconsin
1 tube (8 oz.) Pillsbury refrigerated crescent rolls
2 cups breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled or
(2 cups cubed fully cooked ham)
6 Eggs
1/2 cup milk
Dash of salt and pepper
2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
1-1/2 cups (6 oz.) Cheddar or Monetary Jack Cheese, shredded

Arrange the crescent rolls on the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Place the ham on top of the crescent rolls. Beat the eggs and milk together; set aside. Layer the hash browns over the ham, season with salt & pepper then pour the egg mixture over the hash browns. Top with cheese. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Makes eight servings.

* Make sure to press the rolls together at the seams after unrolling the dough *

If cutting the recipe in half use a 8 x 8 inch pan. you will have two crescent triangles left over. Use 3 eggs cut the milk to 1/4 cup. Use the same amount of sausage, hash browns and cheese.
(I personally like to change the recipe up, but just a bit. I use real potatoes instead of frozen. I bake the potatoes ahead of time and then when preparing the casserole I cut them up and put them in. I also have added peppers, onions and even mushrooms on occassion and have also done more than one meat in the casserole at one time as well...it is really good this way, but just as good the way the recipe calls for)

This recipe pairs really well with..... 
 Sweet Cooked Apples
5 Apples peeled, cored and sliced (kind of thick)
(I used granny smith)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 - 3 tablespoons butter
1/2 - tablespoons cornstarch

Place apples in a 2 1/2 Quart Pot Combine sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch and nutmeg. Sprinkle over apples add water and dot with butter. Cover and bring mixture to a slow boil, then turn the heat down on low and simmer until the apples are tender and the water has cooked down. Gently mix so you don't break the apples up. You can adjust the spices and sugar to your tasting you might want more. I think I added a little more cinnamon and sugar as the apples cooked.


To get a printable version of this recipe please head MommysKitchen.net and search Grandma Mack's Breakfast Casserole =D

No comments:

Post a Comment